The Big Day Off Trust is a registered, not for profit organisation, that is committed to raising funds to support those affected by spinal cord injuries.
The Big Day Off is proud to support two of Australia’s top spinal charities – Spinal Cord Injuries Australia and SpinalCure Australia. Choosing to support these organisations means that the Big Day Off is a robust funding model, supporting the day-to-day needs of those impacted by spinal cord injury, as well as the ongoing quest to find a cure.
Spinal Cord Injuries Australia
Spinal Cord Injuries Australia (SCIA) is a member-based charity working for people with spinal cord injury (SCI). Individuals with SCI and similar disability use our services to overcome barriers, achieve goals and live fulfilling lives. We focus on the following areas:
- Enhancing people’s functionality and health through exercise
- Offering a one-stop-shop for information on services, advice and support
- Sharing the lived experience of having an SCI through peer support
- Awarding grants for equipment, services or activities that enhance independence
- Influencing social change on a systemic and individual level
- Supporting people bac into employment, education or training
- Providing care on a one-off, temporary or emergency basis
- Running an Australian Disability Enterprise that employs people with a disability.
Find out more at www.scia.org.au
Every day a motor vehicle accident, sporting injury or simple fall results in another Australian being paralysed by a spinal cord injury. It can happen to anyone at any time, and the impact of a spinal cord injury on someone’s life—and that of their family and friends—is overwhelming.
A damaged spinal cord not only means losing control of your muscles, but also deprives you of the sensations of pain, pleasure, touch and pressure, robs you of your sexual function, the control of bladder and bowel, and sometimes the ability to breathe unaided.
SpinalCure was founded in 1994 with the sole aim of finding a cure for this devastating condition through the promotion and funding of medical research, and is currently working to introduce some of the world’s most promising and cutting-edge spinal cord injury treatments into Australia.
Read more about SpinalCure at www.spinalcure.org.au